Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 
Carran, Carrune, Carron, or Carne

A parish in the barony of Burren, 9 miles north-east of Innistymon, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, south-westward, 7 miles; breadth, from 1 to 3; area, 14,460 acres, 2 roods, 4 perches. Pop., in 1831, 1,045; in 1841, 1,144. Houses 184. The surface is ruggedly upland, and, for the most part, wildly pastoral, extremely rocky, but all of limestone soil, and yielding excellent herbage for sheep. Within the limits are the remains of three old churches, the ruins of two old castles, and vestiges of five Danish forts. The principal residences are Columbkill-cottage, Termon-cottage, and Rockview-house; and the chief hamlet is Castletown. A road from Corofin to Galway bay traverses the interior. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of NOUGHAVAL, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Vicarial tithe composition, 35; glebe, 4. The rectorial tithes are appropriate. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 700; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Noughaval. In 1834, the parishioners were all Roman Catholics; and 2 pay daily schools had on their books 90 boys and 59 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Carran 

 


Callaghan's-Mills

Home


Carrigaholt