Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 
Clonloghan

A parish in the barony of Lower Bunratty, 2 miles south of Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, south by westward, 3 miles; extreme breadth, 1; area, 2,951 acres, 36 perches. Pop., in 1831, 763; in 1841, 681. Houses 95. It rests its south end upon the estuary of the Shannon, yet lies in the middle of the peninsula between the Shannon and the east side of the estuary of the Fergus; and it consists of good arable and feeding ground. The highest ground is in the extreme north, and has an altitude above sea-level of 159 feet. The mansions are Shannongrove, Knockaun-house, and Killully-cottage. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILFINAGHTY in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 35; glebe, 3 3s. The rectorial tithes are compounded for 70, and are impropriate in the Earl of Egremont. In 1834, the parishioners, with one exception, were all Roman Catholics; and there was neither church chapel, nor school.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Clonloghan

Clonlea

Home


Clonrush