Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Clonrush

A parish, in the barony of Leitrim, county of Galway, and province of Connaught, situated on Lough Derg, 101/2 miles (S. by W.) from Portumna ; containing 3084 inhabitants. It comprises 11,201 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 2890 per annum : a great part is annually flooded by the Shannon, and it contains a large tract of poor marsh land. Iron mines exist in the mountains, and Lough Derg furnishes means of communication with Limerick and Dublin. At Tintrim is the seat of J. Burke, Esq., on which is a chalybeate spring ; and beautifully situated on the banks of the Shannon is Meelick, the ancient seat of the Burke family, but now uninhabited. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and is part of the union of Inniscalthra ; the rectory is appropriate to the economy fund of the cathedral of Killaloe : the tithes amount to 130, of which 70 is payable to the economy fund and 60 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonrush and Inniscalthra, in each of which is a chapel. There are two public schools, one at Furness and one at Dromane.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Clonrush Parish

 


Clonloghan

Home


Clouney