|Clare County Library||
Clare Places: Towns & Villages
Home | Library Catalogue | Forums | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | Contact Us | What's New
Cranny (An Chrannaigh)
The Cloon River descends within the parish from a height of 212 feet and flows into Clonderlaw Bay. This river is typical of West of Ireland acid streams. The quality of fish in any water depends almost exclusively on its flora and fauna, which in turn depends on whether the water is alkaline or acid. The Cloon holds a big stock of small brown trout and the occasional sea-trout or salmon. Fresh-water mussels of three to four inches are also found in this river.
St. Senan's Well is in the townland of Erribul. A grotto to Our Lady was erected in Coolmeen in 1963 and another one in Shessive in 1975. The highest point in the parish is at Coolin near Coolmeen. This is 327 feet over sea-level. The lakes of the parish are of no interest for anglers although botanists may be interested in Derrygeeha.
Clifton House is now demolished. In 1837 Lewis mentioned that it was newly erected and related that there was a ferry from Clifton to Foyne's Island on the opposite side of the Shannon. Clifton House itself was on a hill so the ferry in question probably operated from what is now Pier Head to the north of Cahercon or Shanahea to the south. Danny Reidy was the last independent ferryman to operate a boat from Shanahea to Foynes. Near his home there is a sandbank with a dangerous current and a bottomless hole called Poll a Mhurnain, hole of the murnan or fishing basket, an oblique way of saying the "trap hole."
Peadar Clancy was born in Cranny in 1894.
Cranny Creamery, now demolished, was built in 1931 and officially opened in 1932. It was located two miles south of the Ennis-Kilrush road. Its first manager was Ned Hynes.
Cranny Rural Renewal Project was set up in 1997 in an effort to reverse the trend of depopulation and migration and to revitalise the area.