Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Cratloe or Cratloe-Cross

A village in the barony of Bunratty, co. Clare, Munster. It stands 5 miles east-south-east of Newmarket-on-Fergus, and 6 west-north-west of Limerick, on the road between these towns. It gives name to a Roman Catholic parish in the dio. of Limerick. Post-town, Limerick. The Cratloe and Meelick dispensary is within the Limerick Poor-law union, and serves for a pop. of 5,000; and, in 1839-40, its receipts and disbursements were respectively 79 18s., and 84 6s. Cratloe-house, in the vicinity, is the seat of S. A. O'Brien, Esq. Cratloe-wood, the largest remnant of natural forest which exists in this part of the country, stretches a considerable distance along the north side of the Limerick and Newmarket road, covers high rough lands which connect with the chain of hills running eastward to Lough Derg, and forms a very remarkable feature of an extensive sheet of scenery.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Cratloe


Corofin

Home


Cross