Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Dowry, or Dowrie

A parish, in the barony of Bunratty, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 11/4 mile (E.) from Ennis, on the road from Clare to Spancel hill ; containing 2099 inhabitants. It comprises 3684 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and consists chiefly of arable and pasture land of second and third rate quality : there are about 800 acres of bog, and a considerable portion of limestone crag. Sea-weed and sand brought up the river Fergus are much used for manure. The seats are Moriesk, the finely wooded demesne of the Rt. Hon. Lord Fitzgerald and Vesci ; Well-Park, that of the Rt. Rev. Dr. McMahon, R. C. Bishop of Killaloe ; Castle Fergus, of W. Smith Blood, Esq., and Tuoreem, of W. O’Connell, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe ; the rectory is part of the union of Ogashin, and the vicarage of that of Quinn : the tithes amount to 217. 11. 61/4., of which, 102. 9. 3. is payable to the rector, 92. 6. 13/4. to the vicar, and 23. 1. 61/2. to the prebendary of Tullagh. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilraghtis : the chapel is a small thatched building, but a new and very handsome structure is about to be erected on another site. A school supported by Mr. Howley having been lately discontinued, it is in contemplation to establish another on a more general plan.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Doora Parish

 


Donamona

Home


Dromcliffe