Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 
Drumcliffe, or Ogormuck

A parish in the north-east corner of the barony of Islands, and containing the town of Ennis. Co. Clare, Munster. Length 5 miles; breadth 4; area, 9,968 acres, of which 30 acres are tideway in the Fergus, and 96 acres are fresh water. Pop., in 1831, 12,392; in 1841, 13,211. Houses 1,921. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 4,681; in 1841, 3,893. Houses 602. The river Fergus runs southward along the eastern boundary; and the rivulet Clareen north-eastward through the interior. The parochial surface is bleak, cold, and craggy in its general appearance; yet contains much good land, and is diversified with several romantic dells, and groups of low rocky, and rather picturesque hills. Various handsome villas adorn the environs of Ennis, or are snugly ensconced in the pleasant tiny vales. A chief one of the residence is Stamerpark, the seat of Michael Finucane, Esq.; and among other residences, including villas and cottages ornes, are Corr, Beechpark, Ashline, Greenhills, Charleville, Abbeyview, Cahirculla, Rathkerry, Lifford, Unionpark, Knapsack, Mahonburgh, Woodstock, Greenpark, Shanvogh, Craglegh, Busypark, and Willowbank. Part of a pillar-tower stands immediately north-west of the old church, and is still about 50 feet high. The door is about 20 feet from the ground, and has a moulding round it; and on different sides, and at different heights, are three windows. This parish is a rectory and a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. The rectorial tithes are compounded for 202 1s 7d.; and one-half belong to the incumbent, and the other half is impropriate in R. Keane, Esq. The half-rectory of Dromcliffe, and the rectories of KILMALY and KILNEMONA, constitute the sinecure benefice of Dromcliffe. Gross income, 355 15s. 4d.; nett, 288 9s. 7d. Patron, the Marquis of Thomond. The incumbent is also a vicar-choral of Cloyne, and a vicar-choral of Cork, and holds the benefices which form the corps of the precentorship of Limerick, and like wise the benefice of Kill and Lyons in Kildare. Vicarial tithe composition of Dromcliffe, 129 4s. 7d.; glebe, 8. The vicarages of Dromcliffe, KILNEMONA, TEMPLEMALY and KILRAGHTIS, constitute the benefice of Dromcliffe with cure. Length, 8 miles; breadth, 4. pop., in 1831, 21,624. But the parish of KILLONE is also attached to the benefice; and the whole of that parish, as well as the sub-denominations of Inch and Ennis in Dromcliffe, are impropriate. Gross income, 297 16s. 10 d.; net, 204 9s. 11d. Patron, the diocesan. The church is a very ancient structure, and was partly rebuilt in 1818. Sittings 350; attendance 260. The Protestant dissenting meeting-house is attended by 10; the Dromcliffe Roman Catholic chapel, by 1,000; and the Inch Roman Catholic chapel, by 300. There are Roman Catholic chapels also in Killone, Kilnemona, and Kilraghtis. In 1834, the parishioners of Dromcliffe consisted of 753 Churchmen, 14 Protestant dissenters, 11,898 Roman Catholics; and the inhabitants of the union consisted of 802 Churchmen, 14 protestant dissenters, and 21,761 Roman Catholics. In the same year, 2 Roman Catholic free-schools in Dromcliffe were supported with 80 a-year from collections, and had on their books 200 boys and 150 girls, 2 hedge-schools had on their books 88 boys and 54 girls, and 2 classical schools, an English school, and 2 female schools furnished no lists of their attendance; and 13 daily schools in the union, exclusive of 5 which made no report, had on their books 726 boys and 365 girls. In 1840, the National Board had an infant school at Ennis, a boys’ school at Newtownstackpool, and a girls’ school at Lifford.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Drumcliffe


Dromore

Home


Drumline