Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 
Dromcreehy, or Drumcreehy

A parish on the north coast of the barony of Burren, 10 miles north by west of Currofin, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 4 miles; breadth, 2; area, 6,285 acres, 36 perches. Pop., in 1831, 1,758; in 1841, 2,331. Houses 362. The surface comprises a large aggregate of rocky, mountainous and unprofitable land, but contributes largely to the bold and imposing features of the southern screen of Galway bay. Cappanavalla mountain, on the western boundary has an altitude above sea-level of 1,023 feet; and a mountain on the eastern boundary, has an altitude of 1,008 feet. The coast or seaboard wends round Ballyvaughan bay, and is the chief seat of population. The villages are BALLYVAUGHAN, BALLYCONREE, BALLINACRAGGY, and LOUGHRASK. There are also two hamlets, called Wood and Acres; and there is a constabulary station. The seats are Clareville, Muckmish, and Turloughquin.— This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of RATHBOURNEY , in the dio. of Kilfenora. Tithe composition, 115. In 1834, the parishioners consisted of 20 churchmen, 4 Presbyterians, and 1,863 Roman Catholics; and there was neither church, chapel, nor school.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Dromcreehy


Doora

Home


Dromore