Clare County Library
Clare Places: Towns & Villages
Home | Library Catalogue | Forums | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | Contact Us | What's New

St. Andrews Church Plaque
Click on the photograph
for more details
Ennistymon Plaques and Memorials
St. Andrews Church Plaque

"Erected
Andrew Finucane
William MacNamara
Cornelius O'Brien
Esqs

The Reverend Archdeacon Whitty
Incumbent of Kilmanaheen

Commissioners
Dr. Morgan Finucane
Henry O'Brien

Church Founders(?)
P…Creaghe
Architect"

(N.B. Some words and characters are indistinct)

In 1830, the Rev. Kenny, finding the Protestant Church on top of Churchill inadequate for his needs, built St. Andrews with the support of the local gentry. The building is still colloquially known as the "New Church". Built in the English Gothic style, the church is reputed to have been designed by a Cooney from Northern Ireland. The tower was added a short time after the main building was finished, and it is unusual for a Gothic church to feature an octagonal tower. The cut-stone building was constructed for the most part by local masons using local materials, and some stone was quarried from the river near the Falls Hotel. It is believed that the church building was originally thatched. The corner stones and gate piers were hand-chiselled, and the wrought-iron gates were made by a local blacksmith, probably a Blake. The wooden pulpit, which originally depicted an eagle with outstretched wings, was hand-carved by Henchys of Ennistymon. The clock was made by Bensons of London at a cost of 100, and was presented by the local landlords, the MacNamaras. The total cost of the building in 1830 was 1,200. 1964 saw the ending of church services in the building, though the graveyard behind continued to be in use.

In 1986, the Church Representative Body made St. Andrews available to the local branch of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann for use as a cultural centre. The building was extensively renovated, and is now a community facility called St. Andrews Teach Ceol (House of Music).

 

Ennistymon: Plaques and Memorials