Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 
Feakle

A parish in the barony of Upper Tulla, 5 miles west by north of Scarriff, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the villages of FEACLE and BAURROE. Length, 6 miles; breadth, 3; area, 36,972 acres, 11 perches,—of which 1,144 acres, 21 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 8,744; in 1841 , 10,156. Houses 1,642. Pop of the rural districts, in 1841, 9,940. Houses 1,604. Area of the village of Feacle, 10 acres. Pop., in 1841, 95. Houses 15. The surface consists of the loftiest, wildest, and most northerly of the western uplands of the county; and includes the southern declivities of the Slieve-Baghta mountains, and those offshoot ranges and masses which embosom Lough Graney, and stretch toward Lough O’Grady. The highest ground is on the west, and has an altitude of 1,312 feet; the two chief summits on the east have an altitude of respectively 724 and 992 feet; and the two chief summits on the north have an altitude of only 448 and 589 feet. The chief streams are the two which pour their united waters into the Scarriff arm of Lough Derg; but these gather their volume from numerous rills and rivulets, which trot and tumble down small glens and uplands. Lough Graney lies nearly in the centre of the parish, comprises an area of 972 acres, 3 roods, 24 perches, and lies 159 feet above sea-level; and smaller lakes within the parish have aggregately an area of 171 acres, 37 perches. The mountainous and chief part of the surface is heathy, and very generally offers a coarse summer pasturage for cattle; and the valley grounds consist, for the most part, of a strong brown clay, intermixed with sand or a greenish gravel, and not only afford fine pasturage and meadowing, but produce superior potatoes and oats and very good barley. The principal residences are Cahir, Knockbeha, Knockageeha, Glenhounis, Ayle, and Knockbarron. This parish is a perpetual curacy, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Killaloe. Gross income, 69 5s. 1d.; nett, 44 5s. 1d. Patron, the dean and chapter of Killaloe. The rectorial and the vicarial tithes are each compounded for 110; and the latter are received by an ecclesiastical incumbent, the former by the dean and chapter of Killaloe. The church was built in 1824, by means of a gift of 830 15s. 4d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 130; attendance 15. Four Roman Catholic chapels at Feacle, Kilclain, Flagmount, and Kilenena, have an attendance of respectively, 1,000, 500, 500, and 600; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, are mutually united. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 29, and the Roman Catholics to 9,470; and 5 pay daily schools had on their books 230 boys and 130 girls. In 1840, the National Board granted 164 15s. toward the erection of a boys’ school and a girls’ school at Feacle.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Feakle


Erina

Home


Finogh