Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 
Feenagh, Finogh, or Phinagh

A parish on the east border of the barony of Lower Bunratty, 1 mile west by north of Six-mile-Bridge, Co. Clare, Munster. Area 2,854 acres. Pop., in 1831, 1,021; in 1841, 1,018. Houses 153. About one-half of the surface consists of rich land, and the other half of craggy ground. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILIFINAGHTY , in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 50, and the rectorial for 100; and the latter are impropriate in the Earl of Egremont. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 22, and the Roman Catholics to 1,074; and a hedge-school had on its books 18 boys and 14 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Feenagh


Feakle

Home


Finvarra