Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 
Finvarra

A peninsula, a headland, and a village, at the north-east extremity of the barony of Burren, Co. Clare, Munster.  The peninsula is 4 miles long, and very tapering in outline; and extends north-westward between Blackhead bay and the bay which commences the separation between Munster and Connaught, and which is screened on the Connaught side by Aughnish peninsula and promontory.  The headland terminates the peninsula, and has a martello tower.  The village stands on the peninsula, and within the parish of Oughtmanagh.  Area, 18 acres. Pop., in 1831, 410; in 1841, 393.  Houses 53.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Finvarra


Finogh

Home


Fishers-Street