Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 
Gleninagh, or Glaninagh

A parish in the north-west corner of the barony of Burren, 13 miles north of Ennistymon, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the villages of Glaninagh, MURROGHKELLY, and MURROGHTWOHY. Length, 2 miles; breadth, of a mile; area, 4,292 acres. Pop., in 1831, 545; in 1841, 886. Houses 146. Pop., in 1831, of the rural districts, 12; of the village of Glaninagh, 220. The surface contains the bold cape of Black Head, at the south side of the entrance of Galway bay; and is elsewhere broken and mountainous. This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of RATHBOURNEY, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Tithe composition, 32 10s. In 1834, the parishioners were all Roman Catholics.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Gleninagh


Fishers-Street

Home


Barony of Ibrickane