Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilbaha

A fishing village, and small sea-port, in the parish of Kilballyhone, barony of Moyarta, Co. Clare, Munster.  It is situated on the estuary of the Shannon, about 3 miles east of Loop Head, and about 13 miles west of Kilrush; and stands on the estate of Mr. William Westby.  A small open sweep of the estuary at the place is sometimes called Kilbaha bay.  An artificial harbour was constructed here by means of grants of 200 from Mr. Westby, 115 7s. from the Dublin Committee, and 1,148 18s. from government; and consists of a cut right through the beach into a bog, a partially excavated basin within the bog, two retaining walls of 140 feet in length along the sides of the cut, and about 40 feet of quay-wall within the basin.  "Owing to the facilities afforded by this pier for landing sea-manure," says an official report, "the country round it bears evident marks of agricultural improvement.  It is also useful to the fisheries, in which about 110 persons are exculsively employed; and it is also and asylum-harbour for small craft coming in from Loop Head and other fishing-stations to the Shannon."  Area of the village, 34 acres.  Pop., in 1831, 460; in 1841, 531.  Houses 82.  Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 61; in manufactures and trade, 15; in other pursuits, 26.  Families dependent chiefly on property and professions, none; on the directing of labour, 64; on their own manual labour, 38.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilbaha


Ivarstown

Home


Kilbane