Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilballyowen, or Kilballyhone

A parish 13 miles west of Kilrush, and in the extreme south-west of the barony of Moyarta and Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the villages of Kilballyhone, Cross, Kilbaha, Kiltrellig, Ross, and Tullig. Length, 7 miles; breadth, 5; area, 10,835 acres, 19 perches. Pop., in 1831, 3, 695; in 1841, 4, 346. Houses 710. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841 2,720. Houses 440. The surface comprises the extreme district of Moyarta peninsula, terminating in Loop Head; and consists on the average of good land, which has of late years been very much improved, and is capable of still further improvement. The chief altitudes on the Shannon coast are 386 feet at a place 1 mile west of Rinevella bay, and 189 feet at Kilclogher Head; and on the Atlantic coast, 232 feet at Loop Head, 274 feet near Black Rock, 146 feet near Cloghansavan-Castle, and 189 feet at Tullig Point. The antiquities are the ruins of a castle, a church, and a friary. —This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILRUSH, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 81 10s. 9d.; glebe, 3 3s. The rectorial tithes are compounded for the three sums of 83 1s. 6d., and 31 1s. 3d., and 69 4s. 7d., which belong respectively to the prebendary of Tomgrany, the prebendary of Inniscattery, and Lord Castlecoote. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,500. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 18, and the Roman Catholics to 3, 950.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilballyowen


Kilbane

Home


Kilchreest