Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilconry

A parish in the south-west corner of the barony of Lower Bunratty, 3 miles south by west of Newmarket, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 2 miles; breadth, 2; area, 2,926 acres, 2 roods, 12 perches, —of which 471 acres, 1 rood, 35 perches are in islands. Pop., in 1831, 793; in 1841, 739. Houses 104. The surface forms the extremity of the peninsula between the estuary of the Shannon and the east side of the estuary of the Fergus. The seats are Carrigerry and Stonehall. —This parish is a rectory, and a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. The rectory is part of the benefice of Traddery. Tithe composition, 70. The vicarage is part of the benefice of Kilfinaghty. Tithe composition, 35; glebe, 6. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 450; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapels of Tomfinlough and Bunratty. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 12, and the Roman Catholics to 832.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilconry


Kilchreest

Home


Kilcorney