Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilcorney, or Kilcornane

A parish in the barony of Burren, 7 miles north-west by north of Corrofin, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 3 miles; breadth, 1; area, 3,352 acres, 2 roods, 4 perches. Pop., in 1831, 335; in 1841, 330. Houses 50. The surface lies a little south of the centre of the barony, and partakes the peculiarly broken, rocky, and hilly character of Burren. Among objects of interest are caves, a cromlech, and the ruins of an old castle. —This parish is a rectory, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Tithe composition, 20; glebe, 14. The rectories of Kilcornane, KILHENNY, and OUGHTMANNA, constitute the benefice of Kilcornane, and corps of the chancellorship of Kilfenora cathedral. Pop., in 1831, 1,593. Gross income, 179; nett, 168 11s. Patron, the diocesan. The incumbent holds also the perpetual curacy of Newtown-Ardes, in the dio. of Down; and is non-resident in Kilcornane benefice. There is no church. The Roman Catholic chapels are in Kilhenny and Oughtmanna. In 1834, the inhabitants of the union were all Roman Catholics; and 2 hedge-schools in Kilcornane and Oughtmanna had on their books 120 boys and 35 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilcorney


Kilconry

Home


Kildysart