Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilfidane, Kilfedane, or Kilfiddane

A parish in the south-east extremity of the barony of Clonderalaw, 4 miles west-south-west of Kildysert, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 7 miles; breadth, 3; area, 13,733 acres, 1 rood, 4 perches, —of which 46 acres, 1 rood, 6 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 4,165; in 1841, 4,661. Houses 716. The surface extends from the estuary of the Fergus, westward along the estuary of the Shannon, and into the interior, to the immediate vicinity of the head or Clonderalaw bay. Its east end partakes in variety and beautousness of character with the adjoining parish of KILDYSERT; and it also, in common with that parish, derives great embellishment from the picturesque demesne of Cahiracon, and hangs out an exquisite sheet of natural picture to observers on the Limerick side of the Shannon. The central and western districts are prevailingly upland; but possess a great advantage for the purposes of improvement in the facility with which sea-manures can be obtained. The stream, which falls into the head of Clonderalaw bay, descends, within the parish, from an elevation of 212 feet. The post-road from Ennis to Kilrush passes through the interior. —This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILMURRY-CLONDERALAW , in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 101 10s. 9 d.; glebe, 4 12s. 3 d. The rectorial tithes are compounded for 166 3s. 1d., and are impropriate in Bindon Scott, Esq. Two Roman Catholic chapels have an attendance of, respectively, 400 and 800. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 41, and the Roman Catholics to 4,324; and 5 daily schools—one of which was conducted under the superintendence of the Roman Catholic clergyman, and was free for a certain number of children—had on their books 212 boys and 72 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilfidane


Kilfearagh

Home


Kilfinaghta