Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilfenora

A parish, containing a small episcopal village of the same name, on the east side of the barony of Corcomroe, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 5 miles; breadth, 5; area, 10,776 acres, 3 roods, 20 perches, —of which 218 acres, 2 roods, 35 perches are water. Pop., in 1841, 3,286. Houses 522. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 2,665. Houses 417. The Pop. of 1831 is stated by the Census at 3,897; and by the Ecclesiastical Authorities at 2,752. About one-half of the surface is prime fattening-ground; about one-fourth is excellent rearing and tillage-land; and the remainder is mountain and bog, but only to a small extent unprofitable. The land, while of good quality, is also better cultivated than that of the adjacent districts on the south. Lough Lakeen on the south has an elevation of 234 feet; and Slievebeg, immediately south of it, has an altitude of 525 feet. The principal residences are the Deanery, Ballykeale, Ballyshanny, Hollywell, and Kilcar; and the hamlets are Ballagh, North Ballagh, Knockacutteen, and Tullagh. The mountain road from Ennistymon to Burren traverses the interior. —This parish is a rectory, in the dio of Kilfenora. Tithe composition, 250; glebe, 165. The rectory of Kilfenora, and the sinecure rectories of Kiltoraght and Clooney, constitute the benefice of Kilfenora, and the corps of the deanery of Kilfenora cathedral. Gross income, 647 18s. 0 d.; nett, 593 10s. 10d. Patron, the Crown. A curate has a salary of 75. The church is the cathedral of the diocese, and is a very old building. Sittings 300; attendance 45. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 700; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kiltoraght. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 66, and the Roman Catholics to 2,920; and a hedge-school had on its books 128 boys and 82 girls. In 1839, the National Board granted 125 toward the erection of a boy’s school and a girl’s school at Kilfenora; and, in 1840 a National School there was salaried with 8 13s. 4d., and had on its books 154 boys and 91 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilfenora


Kilfarboy

Home


Kilfearagh