Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilfintinan, or Kilfentinan

A parish in the barony of Lower Bunratty, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains a small part of the town of Six-Mile-Bridge. Length, 3 miles; breath, 1 area; 6,115 acres, 12 perches, of which 16 acres, 2 roods, 4 perches, are tide-way in the Ougarnee river, and 9 acres, 22 perches are in Lough Gorteen. Pop., in 1831, 2,856; in 1841, 2,633. Houses 424. Chief objects of interest are noticed under the word CRATLOE. The surface extends along the Ougarnee rivulet, from Six-Mile-Bridge to the Shannon, and is traversed across the north by the road from Limerick to Ennis. One-half of the land is of the best description in the province; and the remainder is of a poor quality. The portion of Six-Mile-Bridge within the boundary contained in 1831, a pop. of 130; but is not noticed in the Census of 1841. This parish is a vicarage, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Limerick. Vicarial tithe composition and gross income, 70; nett, 65 3s. 4d. Patron, the Earl of Egremont. The incumbent holds the stipendiary curacy of Clondegad, in the dio. of Killaloe; and is non-resident in Kilfentinan. The rectorial tithes are compounded for 197 10s., and are impropriate in the Earl of Egremount. There is no church. Two Roman Catholic chapels have an attendance of respectively about 800, and from 500 to 600; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, are mutually united. In 1834, the parishioners were all Roman Catholics; and 4 pay daily schools had on their books 81 boys’ and 43 girls’.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilfintinan


Kilfinaghta

Home


Kilkee