Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilfinaghta

A parish on the western border of the barony of Tulla, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of IVARSTOWN, and the greater part of the town of SIX-MILE-BRIDGE. Length, 3 miles; breadth, 2; area, 8,109 acres, 2 roods, 36 perches, of which 119 acres, 1 rood, 9 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 4,132; in 1841, 3,801. Houses 601. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 2,771; in 1841, 2,694. Houses 408. About one-half of the parochial surface is mountainous ground, and the remainder is land of various quality, extensively improved and embellished. A height in the extreme south-east has an altitude of 1,010 feet; another in the east border has an altitude of 568 feet; and the Gourna rivulet descends within the parish from an elevation of 412 feet. The principal draining stream is the Ougarnee; and most of the water area lies in Castle-Lake. Among the mansions are Mount Ivers, the seat of Mr. Ivers; and Castlecrine, the seat of Henry Butler, Esq. The road from Dublin to Ennis passes along the south. This parish is a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 92 7s. 10d., and the rectorial for 85 7s. 4 d.; and the latter are impropriate in the Earl of Egremont. The vicarages of Kilfinaghty, FINOE, KILMURRYNEGAUL, BUNRATTY, CLONLOHAN, KILCONRY, and TOMFINLOE constitute the benefice of Kilfinaghty. Length, 6 miles; breadth, 5. Pop., in 1831, 12,690. Gross income, 360 17s. 9d.; nett, 316 17s. 11 d. Patron, the diocesan. The church is of uncertain date. Sittings 400; attendance 50. The Kilfinaghty Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 800. There are Roman Catholic chapels also in Kilmurraynegaul, Bunratty, Tomfinloe, and Kilconry. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 106, and the Roman Catholics to 4,331; the Protestants of the union to 337, and the Roman Catholics to 13,281; 3 hedge-schools in the parish had on their books 143 boys and 66 girls; and 10 daily schools in the union had 465 boys and 270 girls. In 1840, a boys’ school and a girls’ school at Six-Mile-Bridge were salaried with respectively 10 and 4 from the National Board, and had on their books 124 boys and 91 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilfinaghty


Kilfidane

Home


Kilfintinan