Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilkeedy

A parish on the north-east border of the barony of Inchiquin, 6 miles north east of Corofin, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 6 miles; breadth 1; area, 18,629 acres, 1 rood, 1 perch, of which 936 acres, 2 roods, 38 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 3,321; in 1841, 4,192. Houses 690. The surface is for the most part rocky and rough, comprising a considerable proportion of unprofitable ground, and very little tolerably good arable land. Lough Buneah, nearly a mile in length, and several subordinate yet considerable lakes, give variety to the landscape. On the frontier toward co. Galway, are the seats of Rockvale and Derryowen; and in the western district is the seat of Rockforest. The principal hamlet is Boston. Two old castles stand on the shores of two of the lakes. The road from Corrofin to Gort passes through the interior. This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of KILNABOY, in the dio. of Killaloe. Tithe composition, 120 19s. 6d.; glebe, 9 4s. 7d. The church was built in 1793, by means of a gift of 360 from the late Board of Fruits Fruits. Sittings 250; attendance 20. Two Roman Catholic chapels have each an attendance of 500. In 1834, the protestants amounted to 8, and the Roman Catholics to 3,550; and a hedge-school had on its books 78 boys and 35 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilkeedy


Kilkee

Home


Kilkisheen