Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Killimer, or Killeymur

A parish in the south-west corner of the barony of Clonderalaw, 4 miles east by south of Kilrush, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 6 miles; breadth, 5; area, 6,302 acres, 3 roods, 30 perches,—of which 36 acres, 7 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 3,023; in 1841, 3,241. Houses 491. The surface is washed on the south-east by Clonderalaw bay, and on the south by the estuary of the Shannon; it consists partly of arable land, but chiefly of pastoral and waste ground; it has been undergoing great improvement from the free use of sea-manure; and it is embellished upon Clonderalaw bay by the demesne of Burrane, and north-west of Killeymur by the demesne of Donogorogue. The highest ground has an altitude of 233 feet. The hamlets are Killeymur and Dysert. The road from Ennis to Kilrush passes along the coast. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILMURRY-CLONDERALAW, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 83 1s. 6d.; a glebe, 1 1s. Part of the rectorial tithes are compounded for 55 7s. 8d., and appropriated to an ecclesiastical incumbent; and the remainder are compounded for 64 12s. 3d., and are impropriate in Lord Castlecoote. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,500. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 23, and the Roman Catholics to 3,223; and 2 daily schools—one of which was a free school, under the superintendence of the Roman Catholic clergyman—had on their books 78 boys and 54 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killimer


Killilagh

Home


Killofin