Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Killofin

A parish on the coast of the barony of Clonderalaw, 7 miles west-south-west of Kildysert, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of LABASHEEDA. Length, 4 miles; breadth, 2; area, 6,692 acres, 2 roods, 7 perches,—of which 10 acres, 2 roods, 32 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 4,072; in 1841, 3,985. Houses 605. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 3,379. Houses 497. The parochial surface includes all the peninsula which lies between the east side of Clonderalaw bay and the estuary of the Shannon; and it varies in outline and quality, from coarse upland pasture to fine lowland arable ground and demesne. Round the coast are Kilkerrin Point and battery, Calmanstown Castle, Mount Shannon Wood, Gap Castle, Labasheeda village, and Cloonkerry-house; and a little inland are Ballyartney-house, Killofin proper, and the ruins of an old friary. —This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILMURRY-CLONDERALAW, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 124, and the rectorial for 160; and the latter are impropriate in Bindon Scott, Esq. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 41, and the Roman Catholics to 4,324; and 6 pay daily schools had on their books 244 boys and 181 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killofin


Killimer

Home


Killokennedy