Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Killokennedy

A parish in the barony of Lower Tulla, 2 miles east of Broadford, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of KILBANE. Length, 7 miles; breadth, 2; area, 11,656 acres. Pop., in 1831, 3,586; in 1841, 3,811. Houses 596. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 3,441. Houses 538. The surface, with the exception of Mr. Arthur’s demesne, consists of indifferent and mountainous land. The mountains of Cragnamurragh and Glennagalliagh have altitudes of 1,729 and 1,458 feet. The drainage is chiefly westward by the Glenomra to the Ougarnee; and the road from Broadford to Killaloe passes through the interior.—This parish is a vicarge, and part of the benefice of KILTONANLEA, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 103 14s. 11d.; glebe, 12. But a portion of the tithes, compounded for 2 15s. 4 d., is appropriated to Tomgrany prebend. The rectory is part of the benefice of O’MULLOD. Rectorial tithe composition, 103 14s. 10d. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 750; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kiltananlea. In 1834, the parishioneers were all Roman Catholics; and 2 hedge-schools had on their books 155 boys and 70 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killokennedy


Killofin

Home


Killonaghan