Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilmacduane

A parish on the east border of the barony of Moyarta, 5 miles north by east of Kilrush, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of COORACLARE. Length, 5 miles; breadth, 4; area, 16,701 acres, 2 roods, 36 perches,—of which 286 acres, 17 perches lie detached, and 24 acres, 3 roods, 26 perches are water.1 Pop., in 1831, 5,738; in 1841, 6,762. Houses 1,045. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 6,584. Houses 1,007. The parochial surface is for the most part a series of bleak uplands, moors, and bogs, washed by the Dunbeg and Creegh rivers, and intersected or diversified with narrow vales. A principal one of the bogs includes the two denominations of Kilmacduane and Dromelyhy, fills the valleys between the hills of Dromelyhy, Dunganella, and Clonredane, comprises an area of 1,420 acres, and has a maximum and an average depth of respectively 27 and 15 feet. The estimated cost, in 1813, of reclaiming this bog was only 1,842. The highest ground is on the south border, and has an altitude of 252 feet. The seats are Dunganella, Gower, and Cloonena.—Kilmacduane parish is a vicarage, and part of the benfice of KILMURRY-CLONDERALAW, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 120, and the rectorial for 184 12s. 3 d.; and the latter are impropriate in Lord Castlecoote. Two Roman Catholic chapels have an attendance of respectively 1,100 and 850. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 26, and the Roman Catholics to 6,136; and 6 pay daily schools had on their books 164 boys and 79 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmacduane


Killurane

Home


Kilmacreehy