Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilmacrehy

A parish on the coast of the barony of Corcomroe, Co. Clare, Munster. It consists of a main body and a detached district; and contains the village of LISCANOR, and part of the village of LEHINCH. Length and breadth of the main body, 3 and 3 miles. Area of the whole, 7,403 acres, 1 perch; of the detached district, 702 acres, 22 perches. Pop. of the whole, in 1831, 3,343; in 1841, 4,264. Houses 673. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 3,322. Houses 513. An old ruined church, called the church of MacCreehy, gives name to the parish, and is traditionally said to have been built by a bishop, a bust of whom remains upon its walls. An alias though obsolete name of the parish is Quoranna, ‘the distinct projection,’ and alludes to the magnificently grand and imposing cape which terminates the sublime cliffs of the coast. The main body is washed on the west by the Atlantic, and on the south by the bay of Liscanor or BALLYELLA. The surface is for the most part pastoral, and consists of what is locally called cold stone or grit ground, free from the protrusion of naked rock. The cliffs of Moher on the coast are singularly sublime; they raise two summits to the altitude of respectively 909 and 1,009 feet above sea-level; and on the former, called Hogshead, or Hagg’s Head, stands a signal tower. See MOHER.1 The seats are Birchfield, Ballyvorda, Ferrypark, Rock-Lodge, Liscanor-house, Castlepark, and Moher. The detached district lies at the head of Liscannor bay, and contains a race course and part of Lehinch village.—This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILMANAHEEN, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Vicarial tithe composition, 76 18s. 5d.; glebe, 4 4s. The rectorial tithes, jointly with those of Kilmanaheen and Killaspuglenane, are compounded for 393 6s. 2d., and appropriated to the archdeaconry of Kilfenora. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 700; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Killaspuglenane. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 24, and the Roman Catholics to 3,571.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmacreehy


Kilmacduane

Home


Kilmaleery