Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Kilmaleery

A parish, in the barony of Bunratty, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 1 mile (S. W.) from Newmarket, on the east bank of the river Fergus ; containing 667 inhabitants. It comprises 2360 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is in general of superior quality, particularly on the shore of the Fergus, where it is exceedingly rich. At Carrigeary is a small quay, where turf and sea manure are landed, and whence corn is occasionally sent to Limerick ; and at Cahirvane is the ancient seat of James Creagh, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe ; the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Tomfinlough or Tradree, and the vicarage part of the vicarial union of Kilnasoolagh. The tithes amount to 126. 0. 33/4., of which 73. 16. 11. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. Divisions it is part of the union or district of Newmarket, and has a chapel at Carrigeary. The ruined castles of Urlin and Clenagh still remain ; the latter, a lofty square tower nearly entire, was once the residence of the MacMahons.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmaleery Parish

 


Kilmacrehy

Home


Kilmaly