Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilmaleery

A parish on the western border of the barony of Lower Bunratty, 1 mile south-west of Newmarket, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 2 miles; breadth, 1; area, 2,266 acres, 3 roods, 18 perches,—of which 13 acres are water, and 55 acres, 3 roods, 25 perches are islands. Pop., in 1831, 667; in 1841, 737. Houses 104. The surface is part of the eastern seaboard of the estuary of the Fergus; and consists in general of good land. Within the limits are the seat of Carrowban, and the ruins of a church and three castles.—This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILNASOOLAGH, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 52 3s. 4d. The rectory of the parish forms part of the sinecure benefice of Traddery or Tomfinlough. Rectorial tithe composition, 73 16s. 11d. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 4, and the Roman Catholics to 712; and there was neither church, chapel, nor school.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmaleery


Kilmacreehy

Home


Kilmaly