Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilmanaheen

A parish in the barony of Corcomroe, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the town of ENNISTYMON, and part of the village of LEHINCH. Length, 3 miles; breadth, 3; area, 8,177 acres, 11 perches,—of which 5 acres, 2 roods, 22 perches, are water, and 463 acres, 1 rood, 5 perches form a detached district about of a mile to the south. Pop., in 1831, 5,579; in 1841, 6,436. Houses 1,065. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 3,116; in 1841, 4,294. Houses 711. The surface is watered by the Oyna or Ennistymon river, and washed on the west by the head of Liscannor bay. It all consists of what is locally called cold stone or grit ground, nearly free from bare rock; and the greater part of it is a congeries of low hills, naturally pastoral, but, to a large aggregate, artificially arable—and, whether pastoral or arable, offering important facilities to the improver. The two loftiest hills are both on the east border, but 2 miles asunder; and they have altitudes of 483 and 510 feet. Adjacent to Ennistymon is Ennistymon-house, the seat of A. Finucane, Esq.; and in the vicinity is Woodmount, the seat of Mr. Lysaght. The antiquities are the ruins of a church, the castles of Dough and Ennistymon, and several Danish raths. This parish is a vicarage, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Vicarial tithe composition, 84 1s. 10d.; glebe, 78. The rectorial tithes, jointly with those of two adjacent parishes, are compounded for 393 6s. 2d.; and are appropriated to the archdeaconry of Kilfenora. The vicarages of Kilmanaheen, KILMACREEHY, and KILLASPUGLENANE, constitute the benefice of Kilmanaheen. Length, 12 miles, along the coast; breath, from 1 to 3. Pop., in 1831, 10,272. Gross income, 285 4s. 4d., exclusive of 393 6s. 2d. belonging to the incumbent as archdeacon; nett, 245 8s. 6d., exclusive of 368 11s. 6d. as before. Patron, the diocesan. The incumbent holds also the vicar-generalship of Kilfenora. The church was built in 1829, by means of a loan of 1,000 from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 250; attendance 40. The Roman Catholic chapel of Ennistymon has an attendance of 4,000. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 38, and the Roman Catholics to 5,841; the Protestants of the union to 65, and the Roman Catholics to 10, 970; 5 daily schools in the parish made no returns of their attendance; and 4 other daily schools in the parish had on their books 157 boys and 108 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmanaheen


Kilmaly

Home


Kilmihil