Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilmihil

KILMICHAEL, vulgarly KILMIHILL, a parish, containing a hamlet of the same name, in the barony of Clonderalaw, 8 miles west-north-west of Kildysert, co. Clare, Munster. Length, 5 miles; breadth, 4; area, 18,772 acres, 3 roods, 2 perches,-of which 142 acres, 2 roods, 15 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 3,794; in 1841, 5,080. Houses 860. Area of the village, 11 acres. Pop., in 1831, 79; in 1841, 118. Houses 23. Fairs are held on May 19, July 8, and Sept. 28. The parochial surface consists of arable and pasture land, intermixed with bog and mountain; and is washed and drained by the Creegh and Doonbeg rivers. The highest ground is in the north, and has an altitude of 554 feet; and the highest level of the Creegh rivulet, within the north border, is 493 feet.-This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILFARBOY, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 80 4s. 1d., and the rectorial for 118 3s. 1d., and the latter are impropriate in Lord Castlecoote and Bindon Scott, Esq. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 900; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to one or two chapels within the benefice of Kilmurry-Clonderalaw. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 12, and the Roman Catholics to 4,068; and two hedge-schools had on their books 82 boys and 41 girls. The Kilmichael and Cooreaclare dispensary is within the Kilrush Poor-law union, and serves for a pop. of 7,635; and, in 1839-40, it expended 95 12s. 10d., and made 2,400 dispensations of medicine.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmihil


Kilmanaheen

Home


Kilmoon