Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Kilmurry-Negaul

A parish, in the barony of Tulla, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 23/4 miles (N. by W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Tulla ; containing 628 inhabitants. It comprises 2129 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, mostly under tillage: the state of agriculture has of late been much improved, chiefly through the exertions of T. Studdert, Esq., of Kilkishen, whose residence, a handsome mansion surrounded by a well-wooded and highly improved demesne, is within the limits of this parish, and adjoining the village of Kilkishen, in the parish of Clonlea. It is in the diocese of Killaloe : the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Ogashin, and the vicarage part of the union of Kilfinaghty. The tithes amount to 78. 9. 23/4., of which 41. 10. 91/4. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Six-mile-bridge, and has a chapel near the village of Kilmurry. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground, and within the limits of the parish are the ruined castles of Rossroe, Kilmurry, and Kilkishen; the last stands in Mr. Studdert’s demesne.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmurry-Negaul Parish

 


Kilmurry-Ibrickane

Home


Kilnasoolagh