Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilneboy, Kilnaboy, or Killinaboy

A parish in the barony of Inchiquin, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the town of CORROFIN. Length and breadth, each 5 miles; area, 17,967 acres, 32 perches,—of which 554 acres, 30 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 3,678 in 1841, 4,102. Houses 660. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 2,778; in 1841, 3193. Houses 513. The surface of the northern and central districts is nearly all moorish, mountainous, or otherwise comparatively waste; and even that of the southern district, though much relieved with water, and partially embellished with wood, has aggregately a bleak appearance. The two chief heights are a hill on the southern boundary, and Glasgeivnagh hill on the northern boundary; and they have an altitude of respectively 629 and 698 feet above sea-level. Most of the water-area lies in part of Loughs Inchiquin and Atedaun on the southern boundary, and in part of Lough Cullaun on the eastern boundary. The hamlets are Killeheen, Glenroe, Ashfield, Aglish, Rinnamona, and Kilneboy. The seats are Elmvale, Ballycasheen, Drummoher, Cahirblonick, Inchiquin, Crossard, Kells, Springfield, Richmond, Rinroe, and Bawnkill. The principal antiquities are three cromlechs, two ‘giants’ graves,’ one or two hill forts, the stump of a pillar-tower, and the ruins of three churches and three castles. The stump of the turraghan is about 10 feet high, and stands to the north-west of the old church of Kilneboy. The chief of the castles is that of INCHIQUIN. This parish is a rectory, in the dio. of Killaloe. Tithe composition, 104 18s.; glebe, 4 10s. The rectories of Kilneboy, KILKEEDY, and INCHICRONANE, and the vicarages of DYSERT, RATH, and CLARE-ABBEY, constitute the benefice of Kilneboy. Length, 20 miles; breadth, 10. Pop., in 1831, exclusive of Clare-Abbey, 15, 789. Gross income, 565 1s. 6d.; nett, 508 3s. 8d. Patron, the diocesan. The incumbent is also prebendary of Dysert. A perpetual curate has entire charge of Clare-Abbey; and two stipendiary curates for the other parishes of the union have salaries of respectively 100 and 78 9s. 2d., with, in the latter case, the use of the glebe-house. Kilneboy church is situated in Corrofin, and was built about the commencement of the last century as a chapel-of-ease, by a son of Sir Donatius O’Brien; and, in 1826, it acquired an extension and a steeple, by means of a loan of 369 4s. 7d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 250; attendance, from 80 to 87. There are churches also in Clare-Abbey and Kilkeedy; and a private house is used as a church in Inchicronane. The Corrofin and Kilneboy Roman Catholic chapels are attended by respectively 600 and 400; and there are seven Roman Catholic chapels in the other parishes of the union. In 1834, the Protestants of Kilneboy parish amounted to 138, and the Roman Catholics to 3,817; and 4 pay daily schools had on their books 189 boys and 120 girls. The Reports of the Commissioners of Public Instruction exhibit the parishes of Inagh and Ruan as attached to the benefice of Kilneboy; and, at the same time, exhibit Clare-Abbey as entirely detached. In 1834, the inhabitants of the union thus defined, consisted of 239 Churchmen, 68 Protestant dissenters, and 22,674 Roman Catholics; and 15 daily schools — 11 of which were supported wholly by fees—had on their books 1,020 boys and 647 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killinaboy


Kilnasoolagh

Home


Kilnemona