Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilnemona

A parish in the barony of Inchiquin, 3 miles west-north-west of Ennis, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 4 miles; breadth, 2; area, 5,418 acres, 1 rood, 33 perches,—of which 54 acres, 1 rood, 24 perches are water, and 213 acres, 2 roods, 39 perches form a detached district a little to the north. Pop., in 1831, 1,767; in 1841, 1,758. Houses 258. The land is partly moorish, and partly good; and is drained eastward by the Shallee rivulet. Lough Aconnaun, in the west, has an elevation of 178 feet. The seats are Shallee, and Shallee quarry. The antiquities are old forts, and the ruins of a church and two castles. The road from Ennis to Ennistymon passes through the interior. —This parish is a rectory and a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. The rectory is part of the sinecure benefice of DROMCLIFFE. Tithe composition, 75. The vicarage is part of the benefice of Dromcliffe with cure. Vicarial tithe composition, 50; glebe, 3. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 400. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 20, and the Roman Catholics to 1,877; and a hedge-school had on its books 65 boys and 35 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilnamona


Kilneboy

Home


Kilnoe