Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilquane

A parish on the south border of the barony of Lower Bunratty, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of ARDNACRUSHA; lies 2 miles north of the city of Limerick; and is politically called North St. Patrick’s, and treated as part of the parish of St. Patrick’s of Limerick. Length, 3 miles; breadth, 2; area, 3,894 acres, 1 rood, 8 perches,—of which 84 acres, 2 roods, 22 perches are in the Shannon. Pop., in 1831, 2,028; in 1841, 2,081. Houses 314. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 1,945. Houses 297. The surface is bounded for 1 mile by the Shannon; is traversed through nearly the middle by the road from Limerick to Broadford; and consists variously of inferior and of very good land. The seats are Maryview, Belleview, Queen’s-borough, Springhill, Ballyglass, Annegrove, Fairy-hill, Parteen, Whitehall, and Quinville. The chief antiquities are the ruins of Kilquane church and Drumnan-castle.—This parish is a perpetual curacy, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Limerick. Gross income, 100 16s. 11d.; nett, 87. Patron, the incumbent of St. Patrick’s. The church was built in 1819, by means of a gift of 646 3s. 1d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 120; attendance, about 80. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of between 300 and 400; and is united to the chapel of St. Munchin. In 1834, the parishioners consisted of 102 Churchmen, 8 Presbyterians, and 2,067 Roman Catholics; a Sunday school was usually attended by about 150 children; and two daily schools—the one of which was salaried with 18 from the National Board, and the other with 10 from the rector of St. Patrick’s—had on their books 49 boys and 46 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project


Kilnoe

Home


Kilraghtis