Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilraghtis

A parish in the barony of Upper Bunratty, 3 miles north-north-east of Ennis, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 4 miles; breadth, 2; area, 5,587 acres, 3 roods, 15 perches,—of which 113 acres, 2 roods, 33 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 1,866; in 1841, 1,995. Houses 297. A large portion of the northern district is waste or very poor land; but the remainder of the surface is for the most part fertile. The seats are Rossleaven, Tooreen, Chipfield, Cappagh, Cahireiny, Ashgrove, and Ballyline. The principal hamlet is Spancel-Hill. The mail-road from Ennis to Galway passes through the interior.— This parish is a rectory and a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarage forms part of the benefice of DROMCLIFFE; and the rectory forms part of the benefice of OGASHIN. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 51 4s. 7d.; and the rectorial for 46 3s. 1d. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 650. In 1834, the parishioners, with two exceptions, were all Roman Catholics; and 3 hedge-schools had on their books 149 boys and 81 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilraghtis


Kilquane

Home


Kilrush Parish