Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilseily

A parish in the barony of Lower Tulla, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the town of BROADFORD. Length, southward, 5 miles; breadth, 3; area, 11,102 acres, 1 rood, 19 perches,—of which 99 acres, 20 perches are in Lough Doon. Pop., in 1831, 4,227; in 1841, 4,469. Houses 717. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 3,844; in 1841, 4,153. Houses 662. Lough Doon, lying at an elevation of 86 feet, is situated on the north-west boundary; and the rivulet Glenomra flows west-north-westward to it from an elevation, immediately after entering the parish, of 120 feet. The district watered by the lake and the stream, or averagely within a mile of them, is lowland, and for the most part arable and ornate; but by far the greater portion of both the central and the southern districts is poor tillage ground, mountain, bog, and waste land. The summit of Knockaplunta, very nearly in the centre of the parish, has an altitude of 843 feet; and another summit, 1 mile to the west of it, has an altitude of 1,018 feet. The seats are Doon-house and Woodfield, on Lough Doon; Killuddery-house, near Lough Doon; Violet-hill, half-a-mile north of Broadford; and Curdlestown, immediately south of Broadford. The three hamlets of Millanstown, Neilstown, and Corbea, are situated in the south. The principal antiquities are two cromlechs, two "giants’ graves," Knockatobber fort, the ruins of Ballykelly-castle, and the ruins of the old church of Kilseily. —This parish is a vicarage in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial and the rectorial tithes are each compounded for 120; and the latter are appropriated to an ecclesiastical incumbent. The vicarages of Kilseily, KILLURANE, and KILNOE, constitute the benefice of Kilseily. Length, 11 miles; breadth, 4. Pop., in 1831, 10,500. Gross income, 313 17s. 2d.; nett, 260 10s. 9d. Patron, the diocesan. The church is situated adjacent to Broadford, and was built in 1810, by means of a loan of 738 9s. 2d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 150; attendance 45. The Kilseily Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,000; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Killokennedy. Two Roman Catholic chapels exist also in respectively Killurane and Kilnoe. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 49, and the Roman Catholics to 4,486; the Protestants of the union to 73, and the Roman Catholics to 11,190; 4 pay daily schools in the parish had on their books 188 boys and 149 girls; and 8 daily schools in the union had on their books 534 boys and 347 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilseily


Kilrush Town

Home


Kilshanny