Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Kilshanny

A parish in the barony of Corcomroe, 2 miles north of Ennistymon, Co. Clare, Munster. Length and breadth, each 3 miles; area, 5,805 acres, 24 perches,—of which 8 acres, 2 roods, 9 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 2,013; in 1841, 2,114. Houses 315. The surface is aggregately flat; and a considerable tract in the west, as well as portions in the north and east, is waste. Lough Goller, on the north boundary, has a surface elevation of 275 feet; but a rivulet which bisects the parish, has a medium elevation of about 100 feet. The chief residences are Streamlet-lodge, Smithstown-house, Annefield, Fantore, and Ballinagree. The principal antiquities are Kilshanny church, Smithstown castle, and Ballytasna and Ballaghboy forts. Corcomroe Abbey had anciently a cell in Kilshanny. The roads from Ennistymon to Kilfenora and Black-Head pass through the interior. This parish is a wholly impropriate rectory and vicarage in the dio. of Kilfenora. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,000; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kilfenora. In 1834, the parishioners, with two exceptions, were all Roman Catholics; and 2 pay daily schools had on their books 185 boys and 80 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilshanny


Kilseily

Home


Kiltonanlea