Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Knock

A village in the parish of Kilmurry-Clonderalaw, barony of Clonderalaw, Co. Clare, Munster.  It stands on the north-west shore of Clonderalaw bay, and on the coast-road from Kilrush to Killadysart, 5 miles east of Kilrush.  It has a post-office and a dispensary; and the latter is within the Kilrush Poor-law union, and serves for a pop. of 10,706; and, in 1839-40, it expended 90, and made 4,174 dispensations of medicine.   A broad and beautiful band of wood, often called the woods of Knock, embosoms the demesnes of Woodlawn, Oaklands, Kilmore, and Cahirbane, and extends 2 miles along the shore of Clonderalaw bay.  Area of the village, 3 acres.  Pop., in 1831, 180; in 1841, 115.  Houses 21.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Knock


Kiltrellig

Home


Labasheeda