Places of Interest
- CAPPA PIER was, and still is, the most important
factor in the development of Kilrush. The oldest section near the
shore was built in 1764. It has changed little since Samuel Lewis
in 1837 described it as a pier of very solid construction protected
by a sea-wall of great strength. It afforded great facility for landing
passengers from the steam vessels which plied regularly between here
and Limerick. The custom-house building near the quay was erected
in 1806. The harbour was frequented by vessels trading in grain and
other commodities. Its particular advantage arises from its depth
of water, which admits vessels of the largest size.
- The KILRUSH CREEK MARINA has recently been developed
into a 120 berth state of the art Marina.The Creek Lodge and Adventure
a fine facility providing a purpose built sailing centre, lecture
rooms, changing area and hostel accommodation for locals and visitors.
The boatyard provides modern repair and alteration facilities as well
as a range of back up services. Boat trips depart from the Marina
to spend time in the company of the Shannon bottlenose dolphins and
also to Scattery Island.
- SCATTERY ISLAND is situated
approximately 2 kms. from Cappa Pier and the Marina. It has seven
churches and a round tower and is one of the most important sites
of early Christian Ireland. It is also of ecological interest with
one of the few remaining examples of semi-natural grasslands in the
country. Boat trips depart to the island during the summer season
and there is a small visitor centre based on the island.
- HOG ISLAND is about one mile south from the shore.
One hundred and fifty years ago it consisted of about twenty acres
of land, and contained only one family.
- KILRUSH FOREST PARK, formerly the Vandeleur Demesne,
is east of the town. The ruined Vandeleur House burned in 1897 was
demolished in 1973. The site is now a car park and picnic area. The
demesne was first planted in 1712.
- FRANCES STREET is one hundred feet wide, named after
Vandeleur's wife. It was started in 1821 and finished in 1864.
- GOLF COURSE: In 1994 the extension of Kilrush Golf
Course was completed and is now an 18 hole Arthur Spring designed
course. The Golf Club is sited on splendid surroundings overlooking
the Shannon and Scattery Island.
- VANDELEUR WALLED GARDEN: Behind beautiful old stone
walls lay the forgotten garden of the Vandeleur estate. Redesigned
and restored to its former glory, it is now an oasis of tender and
tropical plants that thrive in the areas uniquely western latitude
climate. Facilities within the centre include a Coffee and Gift Shop,
Conference Suite and Plant Sales area. A selection of the Heritage
exhibition "Kilrush in the Landlord Times" is also on display
in the Centre.
- WEST CLARE RAILWAY:
Re-live the Percy French experience at Moyasta Junction station located
between Kilrush & Kilkee. There you will find a restored station
house, 1.5miles of original tracks and an audio visual display on
the old railway system.
- The SHANNON DOLPHIN AND WILDLIFE CENTRE (formerly
the Scattery Island Centre) is adjacent to Kilrush Creek Marina and
is visible by its striking Dolphin mural. A range of interesting information
and activities, including whale and dolphin skulls and skeletons and
rubbing boards, goggle boxes and jigsaws can be found at the centre.
You can also learn about recent research and conservation of the Shannon
dolphins. The centre is open June to September and admission is free.