Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Labasheeda

A village, and a bay, in the parish of Killofin, barony of Clonderalaw, Co. Clare, Munster.  The village stands at the head of the bay, 2 miles south-east of Kilmurry-MacMahon, and 4 south-west of Kildysart.  It contains a Roman Catholic chapel, and has in its vicinity the seats of Cloonkerry and Ballyartney, and the ruins of the church of Killofin.  The bay is an indentation of the estuary of the Shannon, measuring 1 1/3 mile across the entrance, and penetrating the land north-westward to the extent of 3 furlongs.  Area of the village, 26 acres.  Pop., in 1831, 446; in 1841, 606.  Houses 108.  Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 45; in manufactures and trade, 77; in other pursuits, 8.  Families dependent chiefly on property and professions, 3; on the directing of labour, 65; on their own manual labour, 61; on means not specified, l.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Labasheeda


Knock

Home


Lahinch