Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Lahinch, Lehinch or Lahensey

A village in the parishes of Kilmanaheen and Kilmacreahy, barony of Corcomroe, Co. Clare, Munster.  It stands at the head of Liscanor bay, and on the coast-road northward from Milltown-Malbay, 2 miles west-south-west of Ennistymon.  It is frequented in summer as a sea-bathing place; it enjoys a fine strand, yet is situated in the very near vicinity of interesting series of sea-cliffs and of the natural curiosities called the Puffing-Holes and the Dropping-Well; and it commands a pleasant and uninterrupted drive to the celebrated cliffs of Mohir.  Near it are several bathing lodges, and the ruins of Moy Castle.  The principal neighbouring villas are Lahinch-house, Cliff-lodge, Hollyhock-lodge, Attycristora-house, and Sandhall-lodge.   Area of the Kilmanaheen section of the village, 3 acres; of the Kilmacreahy section, 14 acres. Pop., in 1841, of the Kilmanaheen section, 53; of the Kilmacreahy section, 380.  Houses in the two sections, respectively 8 and 77.  The Census of 1831 exhibits the village as all situated in Kilmanaheen, and as consisting of two parts, East Lahensey and West Lahensey; and it assigns to these parts a pop. of respectively 607 and 426.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Lahinch - Historical Background


Labasheeda

Home


Liscannor