on Station Road, Lahinch
By Tomsie O’Sullivan
Station Road, Lahinch got its name from the days
of the West Clare Railway Line which operated here from 1885 to
1961. The Lahinch Railway Station was off the main road with a wide
entrance gate to its “Station”, Family House, Stores
and other building. The records of 1990 show just five buildings
on the road, a hotel, shop and three family homes. The 1996 records
show Station Road having 69 houses and no sight of the Railway Building.
The Aberdeen Arms Hotel is now
the first building we see as we turn left off Main Street at Church
Corner. This hotel has extended in all directions over the past
30 years and now covers most of what used be called “The Pump
Field” and also had the Village’s Spring Well and Pump.
The next bungalow is Mrs. Ann Conway
built in 1956 and after that there is a vacant building site. The
McGlennon Family are in the next bungalow built
Then there is a small Caravan Site off the road.
Along the front of this site there are four two
storey terraced houses. No. 1 is now Dr. McGovern’s
Medical Centre and the other three belong to Denis Cullinan
and are for letting. They were built in the 1970s.
The two storey we next see is a Summer House owned
by a Galway Family and then we have a bungalow, a Summer House owned
by a Cork Family. There are then two houses in course of construction.
Mr. & Mrs. O’Dwyer’s
is the house we see next built in late 1960s.
The next bungalow was built in late 1970s and is home of Tomsie
and Marie O’Sullivan and family. There was
a small shop there in the 1930s: “Cynthia Rourkes”.
“Pink Lodge” was one of the first five
properties on Station Road, owned by the Vaughan family. It remains
in the family and Micheál and Phil Vaughan
and family live there now.
Beyond the Railway Gate, the last house is now where P.J. Greene
lives and after that the rest of the land on the left into Dough
belongs to the Slattery Family.
Next the boundary of Dough on the South Side of
the Road there is now a very fine housing development undertaken
by Clare Co. Council and this is now considered the end of Station
As we walk back towards Lahinch we see two new
bungalows – property of Mr. & Mrs. Slattery
and next Mr. & Mrs. Coughlan.
Then we have the home of Bridget Kenny
possible the first house to be built in the area late 1940s to 50s.
Mr. & Mrs. Christy Donohue built their home
next door and then others came on stream. Two retired residence,
then Christy Browne’s bungalow, next Nora
Moloney and at the corner entrance to the Station,
Mr. & Mrs. Tim Murphy. As we enter the station
grounds, the old Railway Houses are all gone that had memories of
the West Clare Railway. The first bungalow on the left is Mrs. Skerritt,
whose husband, J.J., God rest him, was the last Station Master at
Lahinch Station. Next to it is Mrs. Young’s bungalow and here
a local could possible recognise a bit of the Old Railway Boundary
wall just beyond her property.
Opposite to these, on the site of the Railway Offices
and Residence, there is now a block of houses for Summer letting
so as we walk back down Station Road we see nothing to show this
was Lahinch’s West Clare Railway Station. Just at the corner
we have on our left the bungalow of Mr. & Mrs. M.J. Looney
and family. Next is the home of a Castletroy family and then there
is a large two storey double house. This was again one of the buildings
of the 1950s built as a Hotel “Realt na Mara” for the
McKendrick sisters and in the ‘60s sold as
a double house, a Cork family live in one and a Clare family in
the other now.
The next bungalow was built in the 1970s and now
belongs to an Ennis family. After this, the next bungalow is one
of a group build in the ‘50s and the present owners are a
Limerick family. The large bungalow next was up in the ‘50s
the home of the Conertys and sold to the Presentation Nuns, Mountmellick,
who built a new residence and oratory here in the late 1960s. It
is now property of Clare Care and is used all year
for various holiday groups in Co. Clare.
The next house is in the course of reconstruction
by an Ennis family and for a number of years was the local curate’s
residence. The bungalow next is the home of Miss Mary Garrahy.
The Kennedy family of Moughna own the next bungalow
and F. O’Loughlin and family live here.
In the next bungalow lives Mrs. Nan Healy
and the house next is home of Mr. & Mrs. Seamus Rush.
The bungalow we look at next was built in the late ‘60s on
a site of an old house where a Miss O’Sullivan
was a tenant.
There is then the bungalow of Mr. & Mrs John
McInerny and this is built on the site where the
only Pub of Station Road was located during the days of the Railway
and was owned by Mrs. Vaughan.
The next large two storey property has two houses,
Mrs. McKee (nee Garrahy) in one
and Mr. & Mrs. Dervan (nee Garrahy)
in the other. From this site, the ground as far as the Railway was
once the estate of the Murphy Family. The first
houses on the McKee/Dervan site were one storey and also the first
R.I.C. Police Station was at Eastern end of property. The Police
Station was destroyed by fire in 1923 and later the whole site was
purchased by Dan Garrahy (father of Mrs. McKee,
Mrs. Dervan and Mary Garrahy). In 1932 he employed Tom McDonagh
and others to build the present two storey houses.
Next is the home of Mrs. Mary Comber
and finally we have John Galvin’s Public
My thanks to the late Lizzie Williams
and residents of Station road for their help in compiling this list.
Parish Magazine 1997