|Scattery Island: The Lighthouse||
Clare County Library
Library Catalogue | Foto:
Clare Photo Collection | Search
this Website | Copyright
Scattery Light was built to lead vessels to the anchorage at Scattery
Roads and to guide them up the River Shannon. Its construction was sanctioned
by the Board of Trade in 1866. Originally, the best position for the light
was thought to be within the boundary of the ground where the War Department
had a battery. Consequently, the light would have to be on rails so that
it could be moved in case of attack or during firing practice.
The light was converted from oil to acetylene using carbon generating plant in 1933. The keeper was also withdrawn and an attendant took charge of the light.
Towards the end of
1977 the water to carbide acetylene plant was replaced by dissolved acetylene
bottles and conversion to propane took place in 1981. Patricia Mc Mahon
took over attending the light after the death of her brother Austin (Bobby)
in 1979. The present attendant is Gerry Griffin.