|Clare County Library||
Clare Places: Towns & Villages
Home | Library Catalogue | Forums | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | Contact Us | What's New
Complete Headstone Inscriptions for Lissycasey Graveyard
Lissycasey takes its name from Liscasey, Lios Ui Chathssaigh, the fort of the guard or sentinel. In recent times the village has expanded considerably, particularly along the northern side of the Ennis/Kilrush road. Many new people have come to live in the area and several changes have taken place. An Ecology Park covers an area of thirty acres and takes in wildlife and endangered species of plants. Turf cutting, which was once a popular activity on Lissycasey bog, is now in decline. The present Lissycasey National School building opened in 1961,
In medieval times this area was part of the territory of East Corcabaiscinn. Around 1488 Corcabaiscinn was divided into two parts, east and west. A branch of the MacMahon family ruled in each of the new divisions. Clonderlaw Castle was the seat of the chief of the eastern portion and the boundary of his country appears to have been coterminous with that which divided the barony of Clonderlaw from that of Moyarta.
Fanny O'Dea is probably Lissycasey’s most famous character.