Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

New-Quay

A fishing-village and a small harbour, in the vicinity of the village of Burren, and on the north coast of the barony of Burren, Co. Clare, Munster.  The quay whence the village acquires its name was originally called Burren-Quay; and is a comparatively recent erection, neatly constructed in hewn limestone, extending 105 feet along the shore, with a return of 72 feet for boats, and a jetty pier-head, 70 feet long, 15 feet high, extending to low water, with a good parapet, and admitting coasting-vessels.  Much business is done here in shipping corn, in landing turf, and in the fisheries; a packet sails regularly in summer, across Galway-bay to Galway; the wharf is commonly filled with craft; and some good houses have been built at the quay.  In the vicinity are the celebrated oyster-banks of Burren.  A Roman Catholic parish in the dio. of Kilfenora takes name from New-Quay, and has a chapel at the village.  The adjacent sea-board was, not very long ago, inaccessible to wheeled vehicles; but is now connected by excellent roads with Ennis and Kinvarra. Pop. of the village not specially returned.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< New-Quay


Murroghtwohy

Home


Newmarket-on-Fergus