Places of Interest
CLENAGH CASTLE is a much overgrown
tower house built by the McMahon family and, has on the wall at the
right side of the door a shiela -na- gig, a fertility symbol of pre-Christian
origin. The tower house was occupied up to about two hundred years
MOOGHAUN tower house was built
in the late fifteenth century by Matthew MacNamara and was restored
some years ago as a private residence.
MOOGHAUN, or MOGHANE HILL FORT
is situated within the Dromoland estate about two miles north of the
is a large townland about three miles south-east of Newmarket village.
Its name is derived from RATH LOCHAIN, the fort of the pond. On a
prominent hill within the townland is a medium-size earthen ring fort
which is lined on the outside with stone. Rathlahine, or Ralahine,
has gone down in history as the site of the famous "Rathlahine
Agricultural and Manufacturing Co-operative Association."
RATHLAHINE TOWER HOUSE is still
in relatively good condition. It was built by Sheeda MacNamara in
1490 and was later occupied by the Vandeleurs. When Thomas Dineley
did his tour of Ireland in 1680, he stayed at the tower house and
drew a sketch showing that a bawn wall and extensive out-buildings
were attached. Description
KNOCKADOON RING FORTS are sited
on top of a hill, with a spectacular view over the Fergus estuary.