Scattery Island: The O'Cahane Castle
Clare County Library
 Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Lying close to the pier are the remains of the O'Cahane Castle which was an Elizabethan tower house. It is mentioned in a list of Clare castles, compiled in 1576, when it was the property of Siacus O'Cahane and described as 'a new castle, partly builded'. Little remains today of this structure except two cellars or vaults. The Office of Public Works has done some dressing of the stonework at the entrance to the vaults. It is likely that the castle was constructed using stone from some of the ruined churches on the island.

<< Back to Scattery Island: Buildings