Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Ogonnilloe

A parish, in the barony of Tulla, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Killaloe, on the road to Scariff; containing 2966 inhabitants. It is situated on the southern side of Scariff bay, which opens into Lough Derg, and comprises 5554 statute acres, including the island of Coskerry, in Lough Derg, which contains 157 acres. The whole of the parish, with the exception only of about 97 acres, is the property of Major Purdon. The land is partly in pasture, but chiefly in tillage, and there is some mountain bog. An excellent new road has been lately constructed along the shores of Lough Derg, by which the hilly road from Scariff to Killaloe, through the centre of the parish, is avoided. Petty sessions are held generally on alternate Mondays at Annacarriga. The more elevated parts, and in particular the Gap of Ogonnilloe, command fine views of the lough, the Derry hills on the opposite shore, and the Keeper mountain in the distance. Tinerana, the residence of Major Purdon, is beautifully situated on the banks of Lough Derg, in an extensive and well-wooded demesne. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the gift of the Bishop; the rectory is partly appropriate to the economy fund of the cathedral of Killaloe, and the remainder forms part of the union of Omullod: the tithes amount to 175. 7. 81/4., of which 38. 15. 41/2. is payable to the economy fund, 78. 9. 23/4. to the incumbent of Omullod, and the remainder to the vicar, who also receives 34. 6. from the economy fund. The glebe-house was built in 1814, when the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of 450, and a loan of 63, towards its erection: attached is a glebe comprising about 10 acres. The church is a neat edifice, with a tower surmounted by minarets, erected in 1810, by aid of a gift of 800 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms a separate district: the chapel is at the Gap of Ogonnilloe. About 70 children are educated in a school at Tinerana, under the superintendence of the vicar, and supported by subscription; the school-house was built by Mr. Purdon. A Sunday school is superintended by Miss Purdon, and about 230 children are educated in three private schools. At Ballybran are the ruins of an old church, and on a small island about 100 yards from the shore are the remains of Cahir castle. Until lately this castle was almost perfect, but having been used for illicit distillation, it was partly blown up a few years since, and now forms a picturesque ruin.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Ogonnelloe Parish

 


O'Briens-Bridge

Home


Oughtmama