Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland 1845

 

Ogonnelloe, or O'Gonilloe

A parish in the barony of Lower Tulla, 3 miles north by west of Killaloe, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, south by westward, 4 miles; extreme breadth, 3; area, 9,925 acres, 2 roods, 9 perches,-of which 3,353 acres are in Lough Derg. Pop., in 1831, 2,966; in 1841, 3,162. Houses 497. The limits include the south side of Scariff bay, and the west side of the lower part of Lough Derg, from that bay down to within 2 miles of Killaloe. The territorial surface consists, for the most part, of land of a light gravelly soil, tolerably good for tillage; but, to some extent, is either boggy ground, or cold, mountainous upland, but a degree superior to mere wilderness. Knocknalicka, and another height on the western boundary, have altitudes above sea-level of respectively 818 and 1,019 feet; and a height at the Roman Catholic chapel has an altitude of 600 feet. The principal islands in Lough Derg belonging to Ogonnelloe are Cahir Island, Lashog-Rocks, Crow Island, Illaunaskagh, Swan Island, Cormorant Island, and Goat-Island. The chief seat is Tinarana-house; the chief hamlets are Annacarriga and Carnagnoe; and the chief antiquities are the ruins of a castle and of Aghenish-house. The road from Killaloe to Scariff passes through the interior. This parish is a vicarage, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 58 3s. 1d.; glebe, 10 10s. Gross income, 102 19s. 1d.; nett, 73 16s. 7 d. Patron, the diocesan. The rectorial tithes are divided into two portions, the larger of which is compounded for 78 9s. 2d., and appropriated to the sinecure benefice of O’Mullod, while the smaller is compounded for 38 15s. 4d., and appropriated to the economy fund of Killaloe cathedral. The church was built in 1812, by means of a gift of 738 9s. 2d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 100; attendance 45. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,000. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 128, and the Roman Catholics to 3,056; a Sunday school was usually attended by about 35 children; and 4 pay daily schools had on their books 190 boys and 105 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Ogonnolloe


O'Briens-Bridge

Home


Oughtmama